This fall, younger fans of DC Comics are about to get two new graphic novel imprints dedicated specifically to them. DC has announced the creation of the young adult-focused DC Ink and the middle grade-focused DC Zoom. These two imprints will be home to authors that already have a cache of previous worked aimed at their targeted demographic, hopefully bringing new readers to the world of comics while also satisfying the current crop of young fans.
Superheroes are more popular than ever so it only makes sense to bring these DC characters to an entirely new generation of young readers,” stated Diane Nelson, president of DC Entertainment and president of Warner Bros. Consumer Products. “The first comic books created decades ago were for kids, and as the business evolved and matured, it became more focused on adult readers. DC Ink and DC Zoom present an exciting new opportunity to grow our publishing business and ensure beloved stories built around iconic characters like Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman are endeared as part of the fabric of childhood for years to come.”
For those who are immediately thinking of the success of DC Super Hero Girls, that hasn’t gone unnoticed by DC. Nelson says “We’ve already experienced tremendous success with our DC Super Hero Girls graphic novels. The new DC Ink and DC Zoom slate, paired with a stellar author line-up, presents a major business growth opportunity and we couldn’t be more excited – we’re going big.”
The lineup of titles is pretty impressive. Coming this year under the DC Ink imprint will be Harley Quinn: Breaking Glass written by Mariko Tamaki with art by Steve Pugh and Mera by Danielle Paige. Meanwhile, the DC Zoom imprint will have DC Super Hero Girls: Search for Atlantis by Shea Fontana and Yancey Labat.
Coming in 2019 will be several more releases.
DC Ink includes:
- BATMAN: GOTHAM HIGH – Melissa de la Cruz (ALEX & ELIZA, BLUE BLOODS series, WITCHES OF EAST END series)
- BATMAN: NIGHTWALKER – THE GRAPHIC NOVEL – Marie Lu (LEGEND series)
- TEEN TITANS – Kami Garcia (BEAUTIFUL CREATURES series)
- UNDER THE MOON: A CATWOMAN TALE – Lauren Myracle (INTERNET GIRLS series, KISSING KATE)
- WONDER WOMAN: TEMPEST TOSSED – Laurie Halse Anderson (SPEAK and CHAINS)
DC Zoom includes:
- BATMAN TALES: ONCE UPON A CRIME – writer and artist: Derek Fridolfs, Dustin Nguyen (BATMAN: LI’L GOTHAM)
- BATMAN: OVERDRIVE – Shea Fontana (DC SUPER HERO GIRLS series)
- BLACK CANARY: IGNITE – Meg Cabot (THE PRINCESS DIARIES series)
- DEAR JUSTICE LEAGUE – Michael Northrop (TOMBQUEST series)
- GREEN LANTERN: LEGACY – Minh Lê (DRAWN TOGETHER)
- SUPER SONS – Ridley Pearson (KINGDOM KEEPERS series)
- SUPERMAN OF SMALLVILLE – writer and artist: Art Baltazar & Franco (TINY TITANS)
- SUPERMAN SMASHES THE KLAN – Gene Yang (AVATAR: THE LAST AIRBENDER series, NEW SUPER-MAN), will be released as periodicals first, then collected
It’s pretty cool to see DC focus on bringing in new readers of all ages and gender, hopefully turning them into lifelong fans of their superheroes. Are there any titles you hope to pick up to share with a young reader in your life, or even just for yourself to enjoy. Let us know!